Subject: Newtek BBS News: HIIP Update
From: John DeNicola <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 96 15:28:46 PDT

[Message from NewTek Tech Support BBS]

From: CHUCK                            -To-: MERIGHI
Subj: Re: hiin save problems           Area: LightWave Su

The HIIP problems are still being worked on.  We identified a save failure
that was related to not having enough available RAM during the save attempt.
see the README file with the patch which has just been posted for 4.0 Amiga LW
standalone.

The problem of the images coming out corrupted is not yet resolved.

Actually, I'll quote the readme file here

Patch for LightWave 4.0 Amiga Standalone
Patch prepared by BC, DM, BT; README by CB.  NewTek, Inc, 1996.

This patch corrects the error with Configure Keys, in which Triangle Fan
appears on the configure keys popup buttons, and the key configuration
cannot be changed or added to.

Do not use this patch on any version of Amiga LightWave except the one which
hipped on the Standalone CD.  This patch will disable any other version of
Amiga LightWave.

Place the Files in this archive in the same drawer as the file Modeler.FP in
our current software installation.  Usually this will be NewTek/Programs.
Then doubleclick on the Patchme icon.  A backup copy of your current modeler
will be copied to the file Modeler.FP.old, and then the patches will be
applied to Modeler.FP.

Note on problems with rendering HIIP filetypes:  In our tests in-house we
save duplicated a problem with rendering images using the HIIP savers.
the problem exhibits by selecting a HIIP filetype, turning on Save RGB, and
rendering.  The frames will render, the program will report that it is
writing to a file, but no file is created, and no error message is
generated.  So far we have pinned this directly to having insufficient RAM
left to either buffer the HIIP save or open the error requestor.  The
program does attempt to open the error requestor, fails, and then proceeds
with no further attempt to save the file or post an error.

The breakpoint seems to be that at the time the save attempt occurs, the
system must have 5 megabytes of free ram, or sufficient free chip RAM to
display an error message.  The programming team has been advised of this,
but for the moment the only solution is to make sure you have enough RAM for
all scene requirements plus 5 MB if saving via a HIIP saver.

You can adjust the scene requirements by lowering segment memory, reducing
color depth or size of image maps wherever possible, simplifying models or
using only the portions which will be visible (cut away anything that won't
be seen).

Users can also use products such as Gigamem, or VMM 3.2 to setup virtual
memory support on their systems, so that a portion of the hard drive can be
created as RAM.  This will produce a slowdown in rendering, but will bypass
RAM limitations.

   Chuck
     NewTek

--- From the LightWave mailing list <[email-masked]> --------
--- This message posted by:  John DeNicola <[email-masked]>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- For information, send e-mail to:  [email-masked] --------
--- Message should include the phrase INFO LIGHTWAVE on a line by itself ---